yueyrt1py8
『花海』會員

帖子 22495
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2424
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-10-4 06:38 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Leonard GildarieIt is unbelievable how little Guyanese travel to other parts of the country. Being in the media, I have been afforded the opportunity to travel to different locations. Places like Port Kaituma, Region One, and Kwakwani,Jerseys NFL China, up the Berbice River, were among some of the areas we have flown to. I travelled overland to Aroaima, a bauxite mining community in Region 10. I saw the ferry crossing at Moleson Creek, in Berbice. There is one thing that I have learnt over time. The priorities in the outlying areas are different for the folks living there.Plan for a little kitchen garden when you are buildingThe accents are different and accusations against the government and opposition are in colourful language that even the most discerning of Guyanese would find it difficult to keep a straight face. But the concerns are serious.On Friday, we were up in Berbice to cover the PPP’s Congress at Port Mourant. I never really paid attention,Jordan Shoes For Sale, but Berbice in my estimation has the most donkeys and horses and roadkill. One has to be a skillful driver to negotiate the dangers. At one section, we counted up to 20 donkeys grazing in the corner. Almost every home had one.Berbice seems to be on the up. SUVs, tractors and cars were highly evident at almost every home.As usual, I took the opportunity to visit Black Bush Polder. There are a few things about this community that I love. It is an area that was given to farmers in the 1960’s by former Premier Cheddi Jagan. The plan was to open up the area to farming, in keeping with the bigger one to make Guyana the breadbasket of the region. Anyone visiting would agree that Black Bush has the potential.The rolling rice fields and boulangers and squashes hanging over the fence are a sight to behold.In the city,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, the complaints are about the garbage, blackouts, bad roads and the traffic.In Black Bush Polder, the complaints are about the drainage, the NDC, and neighbours who deliberately allow flooding. Everybody knows each other there.But perhaps what most struck me here is how simple people lived. Nobody can starve. Boulangers, papaya, bora, all kinds of pepper, catahar (hope I spelt it right) black-eye peas, rice,Wholesale Authentic NFL Jerseys, pumpkin…Black Bush has it all. A neighbour can visit the next door farm, located around the home, and pick a few items. A yard fowl, duck and sheep are also in abundance.So what is wrong here? Black Bush has been under threat from day one from flooding and drought. The entire farming area is dependent on a system of drainage and irrigation that is far from perfect. It will take lots of money to make it right. In the meantime, the many dams and access roads to the farms are threatened year round from the rains. Homes being underwater for a few days in certain parts have become an expected norm.I saw one man preparing his horse for the backdam. He has several heads of cattle.Neighbours being on the edge and tempers flaring against blocked drains are some of the biggest complaints that the NDC and regional authority will receive.But what struck me most of all is the ease of what a little kitchen garden does to the lives of the folks in Black Bush. Almost every home has one. Calaloo and peppers are a must. So are thyme, squash,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, carila and saim. The rains will come and kill the plants, but the folks will start over again. Nobody is starving.I have always written about the need to plan properly when you are building your home. If you are on a limited budget, it may be a good thing to leave a little space for a kitchen garden. I have thyme and what the good people in Guyana call ‘married man poke’. I also have papaya and a grafted ‘golden apple’ tree planted a few months ago is already bearing. It may require a few minutes work, but the savings each month on buying seasoning and a few fruits can come in handy to do some other things.A four feet by 10 feet plot may be enough. You may also want a few flowers. At the end of the day, the little gardening may even become a hobby. There is nothing quite like seeing a papaya growing from your tree. It makes me proud.I am getting ready to head back to the city now. I enjoyed the yard fowl that one of the boys ‘stole’ from his neighbour.Enjoy your weekend and don’t forget to drop your comments, suggestions to [email protected]